Sunday, January 9, 2011

Take a train to the top the world…

I'M HOME!

So…
It’s been a while. Sometimes life gets the best of you and you have to regroup and find yourself again, what you want, and what you are meant to do. Over the past three months that I am been silent on this blog, I have missed writing, missing being part of the theatre community, missing connection. Though over these past few months I have continued to see shows when I could and keep up-to-date as I could with the world of theatre, but something was still missing. I promise you that I am back! AND I am passionate as ever to share all that I can with all of you.

It’s surreal that my 1st post back is about finding HOME, it being the night of the final curtain for the Broadway production of In The Heights. My home screen on my laptop is a photo I took of the marquee for the show from my last trip to NYC where I saw the production for the 1st time. Seeing that image each day that I did not get to write an entry for the blog remainded me of how much I miss the arts.

Seeing that show was a life changing experience. It was a show I had been dying to see ever since I 1st heard about it. I mean a show about Latin people, created by Latin, starring Latin people; it was too good to be true. I then caught the PBS special about the creation of the show and was moved to tears, longing to see the show even more. Then getting the soundtrack, learning every lyric, watching every youtube clip I could find; being in awe of the mastermind behind the show Lin-Manuel Miranda. So when I found myself in NYC last year, I walked up to the Richard Rodgers Theatre and bought myself a ticket for that afternoon’s show. I cried THREE times, 1st time when the song Breathe was performed, during 96,000 and lastly during Alabanza. When the show came to LA with Mr. Lin-Manuel Miranda, I made sure to take my whole family to see this. By taking my parents in particular to see the show, I wanted them to see a play about 2nd 3rd generation Latinos in the media, not as stereotypes but as themselves, just people.
For me these past few months have really tested me and my idea of what believe I can achieve. The soundtrack to In The Heights was very reflective of how I felt inside. From Nina doing all she can to seek her parents approval, to Benny just trying to earn the respect of his boss, to Usnavi trying to deal with loss, and lastly Vanessa trying to get out and start living her life. This show might be the closest piece of art that reflects who I am as a person. Thank you cast and crew of In The Heights for inspiring me to have “Paciencia y Fe”, to “Just Breathe”, and to “Take a train to the top the world… and I'm there I'm Home!”





"Take a train to the top the world"- lyrics from In The Heights

No comments:

Post a Comment