Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Law will star as Hamlet for a 12-week engagement at the Broadhurst Theatre with Michael Grandage as the director. Hamlet will conclude its sold-out run at London's Wyndham's Theatre Aug. 22, it will run at Kronberg Castle, Elsinore, for a sold-out run Aug. 25-30 before it officially opens on Broadway on Oct. 6 (previews start September 12th).
"To be, or not to be" - quote from Hamlet
BUT... A national tour will launch in fall 2010! For more info visit disneyonbroadway.com.
"Sure, she's got everything" lyrics from Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid
Monday, June 29, 2009
Sunday in the Park with George is Stephen Sondheim at his best and was inspired by the painting "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" by Georges Seurat. It tells a fictional yet complex story about Seurat while painting the masterpiece and about his grandson as searches to find himself as an artist. The filmed musical features original cast members Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters as Georges/George and Dot/Marie. It is a play were you must really listen to fully understand the painful yet hopeful storyline told so beautifully through the music and lyrics of Sondheim. It also won the 1985 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
If you have never heard of the show before then a great way to be introduce to the story is through the cast recording. I recommend the 2006 revival Cast Recording rather than the original cast. I prefer Daniel Evans and Jenna Russell who played Georges/George and Dot/Marie because they are so much more moving in their presentation of these characters. Also they were the cast I saw on Broadway, in a production that was breathtaking from start to finish. Watch the YouTube clip from the Tony Awards 2008 below to see why they were SO good.
"Finishing the Hat"-song from Sunday in the Park with George
Broadway composer, lyricist and performer Lin-Manuel Miranda interviews John Kander who co-wrote Cabaret and Kiss of the Spider Woman and Tom Kitt who won the Tony Award for Best Original Score for Next to Normal this year. (click photo go to to the NPR webpage)
"Why don't you tell me everything you know?"- Lyrics from Everything I Know from In The Heights
Sunday, June 28, 2009
Kyle Riabko made his Broadway debut in Spring Awakening, and has been headlining the national tour for almost a year now. He will conclude his run as Melchior in the national tour tonight June 28. I have had the pleasure of meeting Kyle twice as well as seeing him on stage as Melchior four times. He is the sweetest guy, really funny, and has a wonderful voice. Best of luck in all that you do!
(pic to the right is of Kyle and I at the stage door of SA on Broadway May 2008)
Click Here for Kyle's Dream 2...Bananas Redux
"All alone, But still I hear their yearning" lyrics from You've Known from Spring Awakening
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Friday, June 26, 2009
"Jackson transformed the music video into an art form and a promotional tool through complex story lines, dance routines, special effects and famous cameo appearances; simultaneously breaking down racial barriers."
"Don't nobody bring me no bad news"-song from The Wiz
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
I am still in shock and disbelief that got to see such legends from the Broadway Stage. These two were made to sing together and you could tell that they take there work seriously but have fun with it the same time. I could go on and on about how wonderful the night was but instead why don't you see it for yourself! (it only here one week).
Here is the show's set list:
ANOTHER HUNDRED PEOPLE / Stephen Sondheim (Company)WHEN / Stephen Sondheim (Evening Primrose)
A COCKEYED OPTIMIST / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (South Pacific)
TWIN SOLILOQUIES / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (South Pacific)
SOME ENCHANTED EVENING / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (South Pacific)
SOME ENCHANTED EVENING REPRISE / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (South Pacific)GETTING MARRIED TODAY / Stephen Sondheim (Company)
LOVING YOU / Stephen Sondheim (Passion)
A COCKEYED OPTIMIST REPRISE / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (South Pacific)
I'M OLD FASHIONED / Jerome Kern (You Were Never Lovelier)
I HAVE THE ROOM ABOVE HER / Jerome Kern & Oscar Hammerstein II (Showboat)
BABY IT'S COLD OUTSIDE / Frank Loesser (Neptune's Daughter)
EVERYBODY SAYS DON'T / Stephen Sondheim (Anyone Can Whistle)
A QUIET THING / John Kander & Fred Ebb (Flora the Red Menace)
IT TAKES TWO / Stephen Sondheim (Into the Woods)
I WON'T DANCE / Jerome Kern (Roberta)
APRIL IN PARIS / Vernon Duke & E.Y. Harburg (Walk a Little Faster)
APRIL IN FAIRBANKS / Murray Grand (New Faces of 1956)
DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA / Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice (Evita)
OLD FOLKS / John Kander & Fred Ebb (70, Girls, 70)
EVERYTHING'S COMING UP ROSES / Jule Styne & Stephen Sondheim (Gypsy)
THE GOD-WHY-DON'T-YOU-LOVE-ME BLUES / Stephen Sondheim (Follies)
THE HILLS OF TOMORROW / Stephen Sondheim (Merrily We Roll Along)
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG / Stephen Sondheim (Merrily We Roll Along)
OLD FRIENDS / Stephen Sondheim (Merrily We Roll Along)
LIKE IT WAS / Stephen Sondheim (Merrily We Roll Along)
FRANKLIN SHEPARD, INC / Stephen Sondheim (Merrily We Roll Along)
SOMEWHERE THAT'S GREEN / Howard Ashman & Alan Menken (Little Shop of Horrors)
IN BUDDY'S EYES / Stephen Sondheim (Follies)
YOU'RE A QUEER ONE, JULIE JORDAN / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (Carousel)
IF I LOVED YOU / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (Carousel)
IF I LOVED YOU REPRISE / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (Carousel)
WHAT'S THE USE OF WOND'RIN / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (Carousel)
IF I LOVED YOU REPRISE / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (Carousel)
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE / Richard Rodgers & Oscar Hammerstein II (Carousel)
YOU'RE JUST IN LOVE / Irving Berlin (Call Me Madam)
COFFEE IN A CARDBOARD CUP / John Kander & Fred Ebb (70, Girls, 70)
"April In Fairbanks"- song from New Faces
I saw her in a CTG's production of The Little Dog Laughed and she blew me away! She is amazing in the film, the rest of the movie was good if you like big action scenes.
"The Little Dog Laughed "-line from play by the same title.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
GLEE got three nominations for the Teen Choice Awards! Way to go! Voting is taking place now.
Check out this new article with GLEE's Chris Colfer and Amber Riley! iGlee/i's" Coming-Out Episode: "Respectful & Touching" Shared via AddThis
"The Nicest Kids In Town"-song from Hairspray
Saturday, June 20, 2009
01:00 Mr. Prince
08:00 Mr. Prince
09:00New York, New York
12:30Phantom of the Opera: Behind the Mask
02:30Annie: Life After Tomorrow
Revolucion Latina is a profit organization is built upon the motto, DARE TO GO BEYOND. They strive to explore their full potential. They have been able to collaborate with several companies to develop events, raise funds for organizations in need and created paths for children to pursue their dreams via school activities and programs.
There mission is "We are a collective of artists and activists committed to empowering the artistic community in order to inspire growth within the Latino Community through collaboration, productions, and educational support programs."
I will share more with you about Revolucionlatina.org at a later time for now watch the video below of Luis Salgado (Director of R.Evolucion Latina) interviewer with Priscilla López from In the Heights, and A Chorus Line Fame.
"What I Did For Love"- song from A Chorus Line
Directed by DANIEL SULLIVAN With Charles Borland, Andrew Crowe, Michael Cumpsty, Steve Curtis, Clifton Duncan, Raúl Esparza, Herb Foster, Leslie Harrison, Anne Hathaway, Slate Holmgren, Kevin Kelly, David Kenner, Christopher Layer, Robin LeMon, Hamish Linklater, Dorien Makhloghi, Audra McDonald, David Pittu, Ray Rizzo, Jay O. Sanders, Julie Sharbutt, Stark Sands, Baylen Thomas, Zach Villa, Jon Patrick Walker, Julie White .(Photo by Joan Marcus)
Thursday, June 18, 2009
To fund the scholarship, In The Heights with CLEAR CHANNEL NY will auction several prize packages on a specially created website www.graduatetonewheights.com. The first auction started June 18, 2009 with a prize which includes having dinner and seeing the show with In The Heights Tony Winning Composer Lin-Manuel Miranda. Other packages will include a private salsa lesson with In The Heights Specialty Latin Dancer and Assistant Choreographer Luis Salgado; A Spa Day and Ladies Night Out package; The Perfect New York Date Package; and a package which includes a special walk-on cameo role in the Broadway show. All proceeds from the auctions will go toward the "Graduate To New Heights Scholarship" fund, along with an additional $2500 contributed to the fund by In the Heights and CLEAR CHANNEL NY.
Watch Below for a new interview with Lin Manuel Miranda
No Pare, Sigue, Sigue!"- lyrics from When You're Home from In The Heights
Lupone will perform songs from her four-decade Broadway career.
Here are the dates: Oct. 3 (Matters of the Heart at Purchase College's Performing Arts Center in Purchase, NY), Nov. 5-7 (Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda at the Orange County Performing Arts Center in Costa Mesa, CA), Nov. 20 (Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda at the Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, MI), Jan. 2, 2010 (Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda at the Symphony Hall in Phoenix, AZ), Feb. 19 (Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda at Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall in Sarasota, FL), May 13 (Matters of the Heart at The Grenada in Santa Barbara, CA), May 15 (Matters of the Heart at Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, CA) and June 18 (Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda at the Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis, MN).
ALSO DON'T FORGET AN EVENING WITH PATTI LUPONE AND MANDY PATINKIN @ the Ahmanson Theatre June 23-29, 2009. Tickets on sale now.
Check out for more information visit http://www.pattilupone.net/.
"I had a dream, a wonderful dream, papa"- lyrics from Some People from Gypsy
Friday, June 12, 2009
Joe is a graduate of NYU/Tisch Graduate Musical Theater Writing Program and has won such awards as the Ed Kleban Award, and a Jonathan Larson Award, a Backstage Bistro Award.Joe is the author of THE BLACK SUITS (music and lyrics by Joe, book by Joe and Robert Maddock; SPF @ The Public Theater), ReWRITE (Urban Stages), THE PLANT THAT ATE DIRTY SOCKS (Lucille Lortel Theater), THINGS TO RUIN: the Songs of Joe Iconis (The Zipper). Other projects include PLASTIC! and TRIUMPHANT BABY! (both with Robert Maddock). THE JOE ICONIS ROCK AND ROLL JAMBOREE has played to sold out crowds at venues all over the city, including Joe's Pub, The Laurie Beechman Theater, and Ars Nova.
"The Goodbye Song" song by Joe Iconis (also is my fav.)
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
THE COMPLETE LYRICS:
Everybody's always talkin' at me Everybody's tryin' to get in my head I wanna listen to my own heart talkin' I need to finish In The Heights instead
Did you ever Close a show to put it back on Did you ever Get on a stage and wanna get off? Did you ever Dance around the park and let it all go? Did you make a video Instead of writing your show?
I like to dance a lot That's who I am The ladies think I'm hot Check out my tan! Will I be In The Heights You know you can Bet on it, bet on it, bet on it, bet on it (Bet on me) And In The Heights is gonna Be on Broadway I wanna plug the show Today is the day! Am I the type of guy who seems kinda gay Bet on it, bet on it, bet on it, bet on it
Oh, hold up Give me room to think Bring it on down
Hi my name is Lin Miranda I know you don't know who I am but I Wore these pants and I'm willin' to dance Like an idiot if ya just gimme the chance To just plug my show and reach the people Bust my flow cuz the flow is lethal It's called in the Heights and life is sweet yo It helps that I get to kiss Karen Olivo 8 times a week, yo The beat's goin' but we keep goin' cuz we know We movin' and provin' to Michael Riedel We can have a hit show about Latino people Who wake up at my Bodega And sorry "Mr. Kenny Ortega"You better tell Zac Efron that he gotta get off Because he's never gonna look like Jonathan Groff
Woo, damn he's so cute . .Heh, Okay, I'm sorry but it's true Don't look in his eyes you'll get taken inYou'll be breakin' in to Spring Awakenin'
And that High School Musical's rakin it in It was paper thin, but they made it againI'm facin the end of this song the hard wayIs this what it takes just to make it to Broadway?! make it to Broadway?!
"Bet on it"- from this video
This Thursday Night, June 11 at 8:30pm
@ the Ford Amphitheatre - Hollywood, CA
Visit www.fordtheatres.org or by calling 323-461-3673.
Also Check Goldstar.com and see if they still have discount tickets. (last time i checked they were out already)
"My future is unlimited" lyrics from The Wizard and I from Wicked
Here is a special CTG is holding for tickets:
"Finland / Fisch Schlapping Dance "-song from Spamalot
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
BUT... A national tour is being planned for 2010-11.
More info to come as they put the tour together.
Side note: Also closing on the 14th are: Exit the King , Joe Turner's Come and Gone, and Reasons to Be Pretty.
"Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat."-song from Guys and Dolls
1) Karen Olivo won best featured actress in a musical for her role as Anita in West Side Story. Karen was in last year’s Best Musical In The Heights and stepped up her game even more this year with a winning her very own tony for her work.
2) LIZA Minnelli! Need I say more… She is an unstoppable woman! She was all over the place in this year’s ceremony and she was great to watch win.
3) The Billy Elliot Boys (David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, and Kiril Kulish). They were sooo cute in their acceptance speech for winning best lead actor in a musical. And History makers as well, being the 1st set of actors to take one one acting award for one role.
4) National Touring cast were invited to perform. Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys were fun and was a great reminder to those who can not make it to Broadway stage in NYC that there are great theatre companies on tour at a city near you at all times! I loved that and wish they continue to do so. (Just not Legally Blonde ever again! )
1) OPENING ACT: Way to much going one. I think this why the sound was sooo bad, with so many performers needing mic’s I think the sound guys had a hard time remembering to turn on, or off which mic’s and when to do so. Also the Mash-ups did not work. Pal Joey and Next to Normal horrible, West Side story girls could be heard with Guys and Dolls Cast and the West Side Boys going at it. ALSO maybe if there were less performers Brett Michael's would have paid more attention to where he was going and not gotten himself injured.
2) The SOUND ISSUES what was going on!!! Please you would think with people who run shows 8 times a week all year long that they could run a TONY AWARDS with good sound.
3) Brett Michael's: I feel that this will be the only thing people remember for this show. There were no stand out performances besides HAIR and Next to Normal which were good but not great. I mean to this day I can remember watching the cast of Ragtime performance from the 52nd Tony Awards and being blown away, the casts of The Drowsy Chaperone and Jersey Boys in 2006 who kick ass, and the casts of The Full Monty and The Producers in 2001 with amazing performances.
4) Lastly they didn’t give NPH much time to do an opening or even host. He closing was the best part of the show because it was short, it was simple, it was funny and it made sense!
Overall I am happy for all the winners but was sadly disappointed that this will not be one of my favorite Tony Awards of all time.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Young said "Being back in Jersey Boys somewhere in the World at some point is something that I totally want to do." Young continued, "...I miss my fans! They travel all over when I'm performing in parts of the country and really, if I came back here (Broadway) someday, they would all be right here. Maybe someday I'll come back for a homecoming."
Young said that since he is based in LA now that they should they should do a production of Jersey Boys in Los Angeles so he can be close to home! I vote for that option!
For full video click the link: On the Red Carpet - Frankie Valli and John Lloyd Young
"Begging" song from Jersey Boys
That's right Grammy award winning Green Day is helping Michael Mayer of Spring Awakening fame bring their hit record American Idiot to life on stage. The storyline of American Idiot follows a group of working class characters from the suburbs to the city to the Middle East, on there journey to find redemption in a troubled/crazy world. Songs from Green Day’s newest release, 21st Century Breakdown's will also be featured in the piece. Although the band is helping put together the play they will not appear on stage as part of the cast.
BEST PLAY: God of Carnage
BEST REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL: Hair
BEST REVIVAL OF A PLAY: The Norman Conquests
BEST BOOK OF A MUSICAL: Lee Hall, Billy Elliot
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (MUSIC AND/OR LYRICS) WRITTEN FOR THE THEATER: Next to Normal Music: Tom Kitt, Lyrics: Brian Yorkey
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTOR IN A PLAY: Geoffrey Rush, Exit the King
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTRESS IN A PLAY: Marcia Gay Harden, God of Carnage
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL: David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, and Kiril Kulish, Billy Elliot
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL: Alice Ripley, Next to Normal
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY: Roger Robinson, Joe Turner’s Come and Gone
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY: Angela Lansbury, Blithe Spirit
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL: Gregory Jbara, Billy Elliot
BEST PERFORMANCE BY A FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL: Karen Olivo, West Side Story
BEST DIRECTION OF A PLAY: Matthew Warchus, God of Carnage
BEST DIRECTION OF A MUSICAL: Stephen Daldry, Billy Elliot
BEST CHOREOGRAPHY:Peter Darling, Billy Elliot
BEST ORCHESTRATIONS (Tie):Martin Koch, Billy Elliot & Michael Starobin and Tom Kitt, Next to Normal
BEST SCENIC DESIGN OF A PLAY: Derek McLane, 33 Variations
BEST SCENIC DESIGN OF A MUSICAL: Ian MacNeil, Billy Elliot
BEST COSTUME DESIGN OF A PLAY: Anthony Ward, Mary Stuart
BEST COSTUME DESIGN OF A MUSICAL:Tim Hatley, Shrek the Musical
BEST LIGHTING DESIGN OF A PLAY:Brian MacDevitt, Joe Turner’s Come and Gone
BEST LIGHTING DESIGN OF A MUSICAL: Rick Fisher, Billy Elliot
BEST SOUND DESIGN OF A PLAY: Gregory Clarke, Equus
BEST SOUND DESIGN OF A MUSICAL: Paul Arditti, Billy Elliot
SPECIAL THEATRICAL EVENT: Liza's at the Palace . . .
"Once We Were Kings" song from Billy Elliot
Sunday, June 7, 2009
- So sorry but here is my first update from the tony awards. I was having problems with the Internet.
- I love NPH so far, opening was ok the mash-ups were not good. more during the next break!
- Music and Lyrics winner is Next to Normal OMG wow what a shock! But i love Next to Normal and it was so great that they gave thanks to Dolly and Elton!
- Lin Manuel Miranda looks great as he introduces West Side Story!!!
- WOW-West Side Story cast can dance!
- Susan Sarandon looks great and sassy as always.
- Direction of a musical goes to Stephen Daldry for Billy Elliot! yay (touching speech)
- Rock of Ages performance came out of nowhere. (DONT STOP BELIEVING was better when Lea and Cory sang it on GLEE!)
- I want to say thank you to Allyson for letting me use her laptop :)
- OMG Jersey Boys AD just ran they are going to perform tonight!!!
- Special Theatrical Event: winner is Liza @ the Palace!!!!!!!!!!
- Liza's speech it amazing (you cant cut off liza)
- What is with the sound problems on the TONYS? seriously
- Guys and Dolls (go Tituss Burgess who was also in Jersey Boys) ps another song from the preview of GLEE
- Billy Elliot has won a lot of awards so far.
- Go American Theatre Wing!!! Working the Theatre check it out (wrote a blog about it).
- John Stamos looks good!
- Featured Actor in a Musical: winner is Gregory Jbara wins (aww he is crying)
- Featured Actress in a Musical: Karen Olivo YAY!!!!! OMG
- What happened to Carrie Fisher?
- Next to Normal: performs such an emotional piece (i want to see this musical even more)
- NPH took on Piven
- Lead Actor in a play: winner is Geoffrey Rush good funny speech (Raul should have got it!)
- What I did for love (awwww)
- Lead actress in a play: winner is Marcia Gay Harden so/so speech like she knew she would win.
- Sir Elton is on stage to present Billy Elliot: speechless
- Legally Blonde WORST MUSICAL EVER
- Best Revival for a Play: winner is The Norman Conquests :)
- Best Play: winner is God of Carnage!
- Life Time Achievement: Jerry Herman awww (great speech about being born on 50th St.)
- Ann Hathaway presents HAIR: fun!!!
- Kristen Chenoweth presents: Best Revival of a Musical: HAIR!!! (YAY!) Let the Sunshine IN!!!
- The guy in the background to the right of the producer from hair face was priceless
- Jersey Boys!!!! is next
- Leading Actress in a Musical: winner is Alice Ripley (way to go Next to Normal and wow the crowd fav) Why is she yelling?????
- Leading Actor in a Musical: winner is Billy Elliot: David, Trent and Kiril (history in the making) tooo cute!!!
- Jersey Boys: five Frankie Valli!!! (where is JOHN LLOYD YOUNG?)
- Every time the Jersey Boys are on the Tonys they sing O What A Night WHY? They should sing Beggin or My Eyes Adore you.
- Best Musical goes to Billy Elliot the musical!!! (by the way did Liza forget the envelope). The kids are great!
- Closing number by NPH: he just had to sing! TONIGHT
- More recap to come tomorrow!
RED CARPET Below
- First Update from RED CARPET: Watching the red carpet feed off of Tonyawards.com and Sutton Foster looks amazing in her orange/golden dress! PS: the live feed is really bad it keeps skipping (3:33pm west coast time)
- So I hear that John Lloyd Young (my jersey boy fav!) will be on hand at the award show I wonder if he is a presenter? (3:40pm)
- Liza looks great in a all black dress with her bright red lips. PS: the streaming is getting a bit better(3:44pm)
- Stocker Channing said that she channelled Madonna for her role in Pal Joey (3:50pm)
- Next to Normal cast match CUTE!!! (3:53pm)
- Jennifer Damiano from Next to Normal is thankful that young actors on Broadway have been so recognized by the Tony Awards this year (so true). (3:54pm)
- One of the producers from the Norman Conquest said they isn't there an award for best cast of a play or musical so true why isn't there! (3:358pm)
- CAST OF HAIR not the best dressed but i love them! (4:00pm)
- John Stamos is ready to do Bye Bye Birdie on Broadway! (4:09pm)
- OK so the webcast has moved from red carpet to Creative Achivement Awards with Laura Benanti and Brian Stokes Mitchell (4:15pm)
- Brian Stokes Mitchell's suit looks like it is from the Ragtime costume rack (4:18pm)
- Thats it for now check back at 8pm for more!!!
"Yo, somebody won!"- lyrics from 96,000 from In the Heights
(thanks to Tonyawards.com)
- Play production that has won the most Tony Awards: Tom Stoppard's The Coast of Utopia (2007) – 7
- Play production with the most Tony nominations: Tom Stoppard's The Coast of Utopia – 10 (2007)
- Musical productions with the most Tony nominations: The Producers, the new Mel Brooks musical (2001) and Billy Elliot The Musical (2009) – 15
- Musical production that has won the most Tonys: The Producers, the new Mel Brooks musical (2001) – 12
- Musical revival with most Tony Awards: South Pacific (2008) – 7
- Musical revival with most Tony nominations: Kiss Me, Kate (2000) – 12
- Performer with most Tony nominations: Julie Harris – 10
- Performer with the most Tony Awards: Julie Harris – 6
- Individual who has received most Tony Awards: Harold Prince – 21
- Composer with most Tony Awards: Stephen Sondheim – 8
- Choreographer with most Tony Awards: Bob Fosse – 8 (plus one for direction)
- Host of most Tony Awards telecasts: Angela Lansbury – 5
- Longest-running Best Musical: The Phantom of the Opera (1988 - )
- Theatre that housed the most Tony-winning Best Plays and Best Musicals: Richard Rodgers Theatre – 10
- Number of ties in Tony history – 8
"To hit the top on Broadway and not lose"- lyrics from You Won't Succeed On Broadway from Spamalot
Make sure you check out Mark Indelicato from Ugly Betty as the official Tony Award's Twitter correspondent!
Click Here to follow his Tweets
(My Favorite one so far was "Here's Mark suiting up! RT @amybpr: @markindelicato b/4 the TONY's in his sharp Kenneth Cole Suit! http://mypict.me/2Wuo")
"Tonight, tonight"-Song from West Side Story
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Broadway.com - Karen Olivo - Broadway Tickets
Shared via AddThis
If she does not win I will be soooo upset!
"A boy like that"-song from West Side Story
It will star John Stamos as Albert Peterson, Gina Gershon as Rose Alvarez, Bill Irwin as Mr. Harry MacAfee, Jayne Houdyshell as Mrs. Mae Peterson & Dee Hoty as Mrs. MacAfee. Also in the production will also feature Matt Doyle as Hugo Peadbody (Matt was in the Broadway cast of Spring Awakening!), Molly Ephraim as Ursula Merkle, Jake Evan Schwencke as Randolph MacAfee, Allie Trimm as Kim MacAfee and as "Conrad Birdie"played by Nolan Gerard Funk (from Spectacular! I knew he was headed for Broadway).
Friday, June 5, 2009
I am planning to try to update my blog through-out the broadcast (west coast time) as much as I can, so please stop by to see my updates.
"The Evil League of Evil Is watching, so beware" - lyrics to Bad Horse (Letter)
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Best Play:Reasons to Be Pretty
Best Musical: Next to Normal (But I know Billy Elliot will win)
Best Book of a Musical: [Title of Show]Hunter Bell
Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre: 9 to 5: The Musical :Music & Lyrics: Dolly Parton
Best Revival of a Play:The Norman Conquests
Best Revival of a Musical:Hair
Best Special Theatrical Event:Liza’s at The Palace
Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play:Raúl Esparza, Speed-the-Plow
Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Play:Hope Davis, God of Carnage
Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical: Will Swenson, Hair
Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical:Karen Olivo, West Side Story
My pick for the Dark House in the race this year who can come out of nowhere to win big is Rock of Ages.
Here are clips of some of my picks from VISA presents 2009 Tony Awards Nominations Concert (So Cal peeps this concert will air on CBS this Saturday at 11am):
Next to Normal
Sutton Foster: Sherk
*I have yet to see any of the performances live on broadway. I base my picks of actors/producers/directors past works, video's of the performances, other reviews, and much more.
"I got the horse right here, The name is Paul Revere"-lyrics from song Fugue for the Tinhorns from Guys and Dolls