Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bananas

Review of Minsky's:
As I mentioned in my last entry (well first entry), I recently saw Minsky's which is currently playing at the Center Theatre Group's Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles until March 1st. This new musical is full of excitement, fun dance numbers, laughter, and boobies!

The show is about a Mr. Minksy (played by the wonderful and very talented Christopher Fitzgerald) who is the owner of a burlesque theatre during the Great Depressions; who's business is in the can. His right hand gal and choreographer Maisie (played by TONY award winner Beth Leavel who I love) tries to guide Minksy to do everything in his power to keep the theatre open even if it means jeopardizing his relationship with Mary Sunner ( played by Katharine Leonard). Mary's father is trying to close the show down because of its adult themed shows. This new musical comedy also stars SNL alumni Rachel Dratch, as Beula the producers talent-less daughter trying to fit into theatre life, and Cheer's famed George Wendt, as Randolph Sunner Mary's father. The two are great in their roles but are a bit distracting from the rest of the cast.

I would have to give this show a 7 out of 10 sadly. I went in with high expectations especially being a fan of Casey Nicholaw (director and choreographer) and Bob Martin (Book) from their work in the Drowsy Chaperone. The "girls" were amazing in their dance numbers and looked great in costumes designed by Gregg Barnes (loved the bananas)! I did enjoy both Fitzgerald's and Leavel's stand-out performances and vocal abilities. But I did not care for Leonard as Mary. I felt she was trying to hard to be like Sutton Foster and she took too long to say her lines.

So go see the show if you are out in LA before it's limited run is over. The next stop for the show looks like Broadway in the Fall of 09'!
"Bananas" : Is the title of one of the songs from Minsky's and my favorite number of the show.


No comments:

Post a Comment