Monday, March 9, 2009

Over the Moon

So I recently went to see RENT at the Pantages Theatre this past Friday March 6th. The show was amazing from start to finish. Featuring original cast members Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp, and Gwen Stewart, as well as many others who are reviving there roles from the over 12 year run on Broadway.

Director Michael Greif gave the show a bit of facelift (so to speak) with little set, blocking, costume, and other changes from the original production. For example during the funeral scene the cast members speak in unison at times which made the scene even more intense and powerful. One thing I did miss from the original production was the opening where the whole cast runs on the stage right after Roger enters and plugs in his guitar. Instead only Mark comes on stage for the first couple of lines before the whole cast comes out.

Seeing Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp in RENT was a dream of mine every since I first heard the soundtrack, and then watched the movie. I never thought that I would be able to see this dream come to life. I went to see RENT in NYC before it closed for the first time on stage and I have to admit that the whole time I was wishing that they were there playing Mark and Roger. When they came on stage the Pantages got so loud that it sounded more like a rock concert then a musical. And if seeing them on stage as the characters they helped to create with Jonathan Larson wasn't enough then I got to see them face to face at the stage door.

I could go on and on but my guest blogger will have more to report on this once in a life time experience. Until then here are a few photo's from Friday night.
"Over the moon"-song title-RENT

No comments:

Post a Comment