Monday, August 10, 2009

A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck

So I went to see Julie & Julia at movies last night and LOVED IT! OK, I know what you are thinking, "What does that movie have to do with this blog?" My answer "a lot!" Yes, it is not a musical and is not based off a play (yet), but it is blog turn book turn movie.

First of all this movie is charming, laugh out loud funny, and made me long for NYC. Though I love Julia Child (played by the ever so talented Meryl Streep ) I found myself connecting with Julie Powell (played by Amy Adams). Julie is young woman in NYC about to turn thirty who is lost in life, yet finds it in a BLOG she writes about Julia Child's cookbook. The main thing through out the movie that Julie like I, struggled with was trying to find a balance between work, relationships, friendships, and one's passions in life. Another similarity Julie and I share is that someone close to us gave us the idea for the blog. Julie gets the idea for her blog from her husband (played by the wonderful Chris Messina) who thinks she would have fun doing so and my friend Allyson told me I should write because she thought I would have fun doing so. Julie thinks no one reads her blogs, I also think no one reads my blog.

The turning point of the movie is that Julie's blog becomes more than a thing to do but rather a career opportunity. I aspire to one day work in the theatre industry and I have come to view this blog as a tool in creating opportunities in order to achieve that goal. Julie's dedication to her blog was inspiring and I too vow to try to make this the best blog that I can! Anyways, enough about me...go see this movie, I promise I did not spoil it for you. Here is the Trailer just in case i did not convince you to go see this movie!!!

In case that was not enough here are three ways the Movie is connected to Theatre/Musicals:
1) Amy Adams and Meryl Streep both started in both DOUBT based off the play by the same name. Stanley Tucci (who plays Mr. Child) made his Broadway debut in The Queen and the Rebels
2) Adams and Streep were also in movie musicals: Adams in Enchanted and Streep in Mamma Mia
3) A certain song from Guys and Dolls was featured in the movie ( title of entry hint hint)
*Photo above from MSNBC article featuring the real Julie Powell (truly an inspiration)
"A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck"-lyrics from A Bushel and a Peck a song from Guys and Dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment